Friday, August 24, 2012

How’s your Hike?


              When I started hiking this morning, I had no intention of battling spider webs, picking spiders out of my hair, or nearly stepping on six box turtles.  I hadn’t planned on staring at my tennis shoes more than at the panoramic scenery, lest I slide down a steep slope or step on the slower traffic.  My purpose for stuffing my Bible, journal, lunch, and pillow into my backpack was to find a place of serene beauty and have intimacy with Jesus.
              It wasn’t wrong for me to knock down webs and pluck the loathsome creatures from my hair.  It had to be done, but that wasn’t the purpose of my journey.  Can you imagine me telling someone about my hike?  “It was amazing.  I knocked down fifteen spider webs, flicked two spiders out of my hair, carefully balanced on loose rocks as I walked down steep slopes, and narrowly avoided squishing six turtles.”  With the possible exception of the turtles, this is not really what people want to hear.  They want to know how God’s presence seemed more real when I was surrounded by the fragrance of pine needles.  They want to know the stillness and rest I found while sleeping on the trail with my pillow.  They want to know the thoughts God shared with me as I spent three hours alone with Him in the woods.  What I did was inconsequential.  They want to know what God did.
              Why, then, do I make this blunder on my daily journey?  I hike through each day with the grand hope of beautiful intimacy and fellowship with Christ, but that is not how I measure my hike at the end of each day.  As I crawl into bed at night, I soothe myself with thoughts like:  “I read three chapters today, wrote a blog post, read to my kids, cleaned the house, and even had some ladies over for tea.”  This is not what people want to know about my daily hike.  They want to know how God changed my heart while listening to my preschooler pray, how God proved Himself faithful (once again) when I had no hope.  They want to know how I have seen God answer my prayers, save the souls of my family and friends, and make me more like Christ.  They don’t want to know what I did.  They want to know what God did.  They want to share my experience of God with me.
              Task-oriented instead of God-oriented.  This is a lie that forges chains of performance-based approval.   This lie says, “In order to BE something, I must DO something.”  So we stay up late and get up early.  We schedule every hour of the day.  We read books on how to live more efficiently. We work until we have nothing left to give.  Meanwhile, God is redeeming souls, healing wounds, setting captives free, giving sight to the blind, and we don’t even see it, because we’re so focused on what we’re doing.
              As long as you keep moving on your hike, you have to keep swatting at the spider webs and watching your own feet.  So drop your backpack, lie down on the trail, and watch what God is doing.  I promise you that the view will be better than your own hiking boots.

Scripture to Study:
Numbers 23:23b    It will now be said of Jacob and of Israel, ‘See what God has done!’
(Replace Jacob and Israel with your own name:  It will now be said of ____________ ‘See what God has done!’) 

No comments:

Post a Comment